Mechanical Safety and Licensing Education & Certification Requirements

Required education credits and certification for Mechanical Safety and Licensing

Mechanical Safety and Licensing Home

Mechanical Seminar Provider Lists

Education & Training

For all Licensees (except Apprentice and Trainee Registration licenses) you will need to show proof of 3 hours of code update every year totaling 6 hours per 2 year renewal cycle.

Testing - Plumbing Exams

There are currently two testing organizations that are approved by the New Hampshire Mechanical Safety & Licensing Board, listed below. Please schedule your test directly with one of them before submitting any paperwork to us.

AFTER taking an exam, candidates may submit a License application to our office.

*Please Note* A passing grade on the exam does not guarantee candidate approval for a license. The onus is on the applicant to ensure they meet all criteria for licensure as set by our laws and rules, located further down on this page. If an applicant is unsure whether they meet the requirements, the applicant should contact our Customer Support at (603) 271-2152, and our staff will be happy to assist them with their inquiry.

Testing for Expired and Inactive Fuel Gas and Plumbing Licensees

A Fuel Gas Fitting license holder or Plumbing license holder who submits an application for late renewal shall be subject to all requirements for new applicants. For anyone seeking to renew their NH Fuel Gas Fitting license or Plumbing license 365 days or more past the expiration date, an exam is offered through our educational providers in lieu of the 140 hour courses (Fuel Gas only). Successful candidates may then re-apply for the license through our office.

Each individual seeking a Renewal license to practice as a Domestic Appliance Technician, a Fuel Gas Fitter, a Master or Journeyman Plumber, or seeking to renew as a Fuel Gas Trainee or Plumbing Apprentice, shall do so by submitting the following application packet:

(1) An Application Renewal form provided by the board; and
(2) If a Plumbing Apprentice or Fuel Gas Fitting Trainee, proof of continued enrollment in the Registration License program applied for; and
(3) If a holder of any other type of Mechanical license issued pursuant to RSA 153:27-38, proof of continuing education supporting materials required for each licensing endorsement applied for; and
(4) The license or registration fees specified by Saf-Mec 501.03 through Saf-Mec 501.05 which is applicable to the type of license or registration license sought.

Licensing exams for Gas Fitters are offered through the following:

Mechanical Safety and Licensing Home