NH OPLC Right to Know Requests

About Right to Know

The NH Right-to-Know Law, RSA 91-A, establishes a person's right of access to the records of public bodies and public agencies, including the Offices of Professional Licensure and Certification (OPLC) and the Boards.  NH Right to Know does not extend to Personal Identifiable Information.


The NH Right-to-Know Law promotes government transparency and discourse with the public by ensuring public access to information created, accepted, or obtained by any public agency.


What is a government record?

A government record means any information that has been created, accepted, or obtained by, or on behalf of, any public body or agency during its official functions. This includes written communications and other information in paper, electronic, or other physical form.

What types of documents can I request under RSA 91-A?

Types of records you may request include, but are not limited to, public meeting minutes, and documents such as reports and contracts.

Only pre-existing records are required to be released under the Right-to-Know Law. This means you may only request documents which already exist, and OPLC is not required to produce any information you are requesting if the information is not already maintained in a form already kept or reported or readily available. (RSA 91-A:4, VII) This also means you may not make any requests for OPLC to compile lists through a 91:A request. 

What documents are exempt from release under 91-A?

  • Non-public meeting minutes
  • Licensee’s personal information such as home address, phone number and e-mail address See NH.gov privacy policy on public disclosure: https://www.nh.gov/policy/index.htm
  • License applications that require a Social Security number (RSA 161-B:11, VI-a)
  • Licensee’s test scores
  • Complaints or investigations about a licensee that did NOT result in public discipline. This is true even if you are the person who made the complaint, the licensee, or the alleged victim.
  • Records older than OPLC is required to keep per our retention policy.

Is there a cost to request records under 91-A?

RSA 91-A:4, IV(d) permits OPLC to charge requestors a reasonable fee to cover the costs of producing/reviewing/redacting records. If the information you are requesting is readily available, you will not be charged a fee. However, if the information you are requesting needs to be compiled, reviewed, and redacted, you may be charged for the cost of producing those records.  

Is New Hampshire Right to Know the same as the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)?

No, FOIA is similar to the Right to Know law. FOIA applies only to federal government departments and agencies; it does not apply to the State of New Hampshire agencies. Likewise, New Hampshire’s Right to Know law does not apply to the federal government.

Any requests made to OPLC citing FOIA will instead be addressed under the provisions of the NH Right to Know law.

Can I ask the boards or OPLC specific questions in a right to know request?

No. You should be aware that 91-A does not require agencies to do research for you, to analyze data, to answer written questions, or to create records in response to a request. 

What types of information can I access through the OPLC website?

  • Name and Term of Board Members
  • Information including but not limited to, public meeting minutes, agendas, Zoom links to public meetings, proposed rule changes and opportunities for public input
  • List of active licensees, license number and expiration date. Information regarding licensees is available by individual or by profession at: https://forms.nh.gov/licenseverification/. If you need to compile a list the instructions are found at: https://www.oplc.nh.gov/list-oplc-licensees-and-their-license-types.  The list can be sorted once it is downloaded and put into a spreadsheet .  
  • Individual licensees and records of public discipline by Board.
  • Number of complaints by board may be found in Annual Reports: https://www.oplc.nh.gov/annual-reports
  • Bid and procurement information (Department of Administrative Services) https://apps.das.nh.gov/bidscontracts/bids.aspx
  • List of current Court Appointed Mediators and GALs 

Submit a Right to Know Request

Please include:

  • Details or Type of information.
  • Date range of the information you are looking for.
  • Method or Address for providing the information.
  • Contact Name for person requesting informmation.

Send to:

  • Mail: Office of Professional Licensue and Certification
             7 Eagle Square
             Concord, NH 03301